dimanche 31 août 2014

Creative holidays

By Gilles Cochevelou 

For me,  holidays is not about not doing anything but doing something different, changing setting and environment! That is why I am always afraid of exceed the 20kg allowed by easy jet for a suitcase. I can't travel light, my suitcase is always full of costumes &  incongruous accessories  I want to bring with me "in case" even if I am going to the most faraway country side.  


I  originally made this lobster dress for a shoot based on sea creatures.  I had theses lobster claw  from a meal in Brittany last year (don't think I am eating lobster every day , it was a very special occasion!), I had to put them in the bleach for a very long time to get rid of the smell.  Then I gold spray them (creating this vey strange smell between seafood and varnish!) I had to make little holes in them in order to stitch them on the dress.   

The head piece is an homage to Lady Gaga and Isabella Blow as well as Tatty Devine lobster necklace.  





Full Moon & Lobster dress 


For 4 years now with my friends we are organising a party in a Bunker called "Kervinoïze". This year'' theme was "Egyptian party".
By Gilles Cochevelou 

Costume inspired by Kate Perry "Dark horse" music video, reference to her with the blue wig.  Brilliant costume design which make Ancient Egypt dress futuristic! 

Dior mesmerising fashion  Egyptian show (2004) 

Elisabeth Taylor in Cleopatra (1963) & Monica Bellucci in Asterix meets Cleopatra  (2002)  
When I studied Ancient Egypt History at school I used to to be fascinated by the traditional garments.  Making a Cleopatra costume was a blast, using gold, shiny materials.  If  Cleopatra is the incarnation of  the "femme fatale", embodied by beautiful actress like Monica Bellucci or Elisabeth Taylor my  Cleopatra is more playful and quirky,  a Cleopatra on acid! 

Posing in front of the Egyptian Fresco painted by my brother, a great street artist who spent 5 days painting in the bunker! 


For this big piece  necklace I used all the symbol of the Ancient egypt, Ankh cross,  hieroglyphs, amulet, Toutankamon masks and Osiris statuette. A mix between over the top golden embroideries and  tacky  souvenirs you can find in the tourist boutique of the British museum.  


For the Egyptian barbie dolls, I actually used Jasmine dolls that I face painted and recreated unique headpieces for them.   
Turing into a doll make up artist for the making of the necklace, inventing new jobs! 




By Gilles Cochevelou 
The Viking costume: This is not one of my best costume but this is an example to show you that is possible to make a costume when you have nothing, 20min away by car from the next supermarket, and that you ear about the party just last minute. So now I don't want to hear anymore the excuse "I am not dressed", I had nothing at home.  You ALWAYS have something at home, even if it looks crap.  


 Ok the outfit is not great, it is just a old curtain that belonged to my grandma, so literally, I "was dress like a curtain".  But thanks to the help of my Mum I made this amazing Viking helmet. We went to a very small flea market on the week end and I felt I had no chance to find anything "Viking-like", but I bump into theses Zebu horn for 5€. The woman selling seemed really happy to get read of them. Then, my Mum  who is a very handy woman person found the way to screw the horn into a old metallic colander Very heavy but quite sensational!  
tribal dolls necklace available on my online shop 



I've already been looking at the tribal aspect of costume here 

By Gilles Cochevelou 

My Mum found for me this very special 70's look vintage dress: 


Ken & Barbie necklace available on my online shop 



barbie hands earrings available on my online shop 


Walking amoung Brittany's dunes 


BACK IN LONDON
same dress, different environment...
ready for new adventures! 



1 commentaire:

  1. All of these are so amazing...I really love the Egyptian one as I have loved Egyptian history since a child. I think this is beautiful. The necklace you created is sublime, amazed by that!! Every one of these came out so well :)) I hope you have a wonderful weekend xx

    RépondreSupprimer

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...